It occupies the central place in the very heart
of the town and with its neo-Classical architecture, it represents a
distinctive landmark of Sombor. It was built in two intervals and hence the two
years inscribed on the front and the back side of the building: MDCCXVIII, when
the foundations of the building that was to be his palace were laid by Count
Jovan Brankovic, the first captain of the Military Town of Sombor; MDCCCXLII,
on the side facing the Holy Trinity Square, the year when the building got its
present appearance. In 1749, it became the seat of the town's Magistrate,
whereas today it houses the offices of political parties, the Radio Sombor and
the editorial board of The Sombor Newspaper. On 13 November 1918, Sombor was
included in the Kingdom
of Serbia; the take-over
of the town on 21 October 1944, when Sombor was liberated, also took place here.